Saturday, August 27, 2011

One Year and Counting


Now


Then



August 27, 2010 - August 27, 2011.

One year ago Tad and I left for a normal days work. Clay, Cole and Lily were home enjoying their last day of freedom before the school year started. I get an insane phone call from Clays Dr who said to get Clay to the closest hospital, he was worried. As we walked into Summerlin Hospital I was greeted by a nurse who took us into the ER. There a really nice Dr told us there was more blood work needed and they had no answers for a couple of hours. I did my best to stay positive and keep Clay from worrying. Tad met us there and we were then taken into a room just Tad and I. The Dr told us Clay had Leukemia. What how in the world can MY kid have cancer. That's not possible. The Dr confirmed yet again it was cancer. Clays white blood count was above 300,000. The Dr then told us there was no time to spare and he was being transported to UMC for better and more critical care. We were admitted to UMC and met our new Oncologist. Dr Bernstein has been amazing. He sat with Tad and I for hours that night. He didn't leave Clays room until after midnight. In a matter of a couple hours Clay had 2 procedures. He had a lumbar puncture/bone marrow biopsy and he had a Hickman central line placed. Clay was solid as a rock the whole time. We kept asking him if he was okay or had questions or needed anything. He as good, he was smart. The Dr ask him if he understood what was happening and how Leukemia happened. He was able to explain it and understand it. Thanks to his amazing 4th grade teacher who taught him cells in science. Strozzi, you rock. After the initial diagnosis we got settled in to our room and figured out what the next step was. Clay was at UMC for 10 days. He had some visitors and lots a emails phone calls and texts.

That Sunday our amazing ward, family and friends had a fast for Clays health and safety. From that day on I knew he would be okay. We all did. Clay has been protected by our Heavenly Father. we have found strength in his love and comfort in the knowledge of the atonement and the promises we have been given. We (I) have always known he was going to be our kid who questioned the church and what his life was all about. This hand he has been dealt has brought him closer to Heavenly Father. He has grown as a person. As a family we have also grown. Now, I'm not saying the fighting stopped or we are perfect. The kids still fight all the time and no one does their chores. What i learned is that I don't care that much anymore. It is more important to have peace and happiness. It is funner to play and be together than it is to yell and scream and ground and punish. The kids still get grounded and still have to be good but it is different now.

We have been told by so many how brave and strong we are. I feel that we were just doing what was needed. It has taken me a while to say this with out crying but I have a kid who had and beat cancer. I have a survivor. Clay is a survivor.

I love you # 2. I love your power, strength and stubbornness. I love your patience with me, dad, the doctors and nurses and your siblings. And your lack of all those things. Thank you for fighting this evil nasty disease and being a hero to us. I also have to praise Cole for saving my sons life so we could celebrate this beautiful day.

Love to all,

Tab

No comments:

Post a Comment