Friday, March 25, 2011

Day + 8 hair loss begins

This mornings pillow. Hair loss has begun.
The eyeball. Notice swelling from last night has gone down.

Race car made him happy today. Thanks Dad.


As I sit here tonight feeling sorry for my boy who is tired and feels like crap cuz his throat hurts and his mouth hurts. I started thinking about a family that I was given a blog address to that lives in TX. www.calebhuffines.blogspot.com. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor in August or Sept of last year, about the same time as Clays diagnosis. They lost him today to his battle with this nasty killer. As I think about them I think about how lucky we are. How grateful this is a battle Clay can win. A battle that has a 96% cure rate. I am grateful he is doing as well as he is and I know he can win this battle. I am grateful we had an amazing boy who was willing to donate his bone marrow and an amazing Lord who knew this was going top happen and blessed us with both siblings as matches. I know the Lord has his hands in all things and he has a greater plan for Caleb Huffines as well as my boy. Caleb's plans are in heaven and Clay's are here on earth. Clay has decided he wants to be a doctor and develop a way to fix the mouth and throat sores so kids who are fighting the nasty battle can do it with out these miserable sores. Treatment would be more bearable and less painful if the mouth and throat sores were not in the way. Clay has developed such a strong testimony from his treatment so far. Today he had a really bad bloody nose and his platelets are really really low and the nose bleed would not stop. It took four hours to stop and 2 bags of platelets. During the time Clay was frustrated and he stopped what he was doing and said a prayer out loud. The nurse and I stopped what we were doing and bowed our heads. He didn't ask of I would help him or even think about it. He knew if he asked for the Lords help, he would get it. This would have never happened pre sickness. In fact most of the time when we prayed as a family his eyes were open and he didn't pay much attention. When the nose bleed stopped and he was feeling better he again said a prayer of thanks. This time he asked if I would sit by him and hold his hand in prayer. What a kid I tell ya. He is going to come out the other side of this a new person with a new outlook on life, family, school and most of all God. For that I am grateful and willing to not question the Lord for this battle.
Anyway, I said a little prayer tonight for a person family I have never met but feel the pain and heartache that I fear the most. Peace be with you Huffines.
Back to Clay and our family....
We had a good day once we got past the four hour nose bleed that led to a two hour nap. Clays hair has started to fall out so he should be bald by the end of the weekend. Got a little laundry done with help from our awesome nurse who kept checking until a washing machine was empty. We built a Lego race car and had a nice visit from our favorite tech Tommy. Tommy was working on another floor and took time out of his lunch to come visit Clay. That made Clay feel good and he even cracked a little smile. Tommy is working on his masters in pharmaceutical chemistry. We have given him specific direction to create the only pill that has to be taken by mouth into an iv form. He made the deal. I guess lots of parents have made the same deal with him. We all hate this little white pill that is the smaller than a tic tac. He has to take it twice a day by mouth with sores down the throat and in the mouth. He throws it up every time.
Clay and I are excited for tomorrow. Opening Day for baseball in our league. Lone Mountain is where we play and we love love that league. This is the first opening day in like 8 years I have missed. The first in 3 years not as a board member. We got a call the other night from a board member asking if it was okay to dedicate the season to Clay. It is a huge honor and Clay is so excited. I hope some one gets it on film because I bet he would love to see it. We are excited for the season to start and for Cole to report back the games. Go LMLL and go Jr Dodgers!!!!!!
Well, good night all. We love and miss ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment